Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Pooped in Gary

You want to know how cold it can get in Minnesooota ? Tuesday morning it was -12 degrees. Now that's cold. I'm pretty sure those folks living up there are hearty but... man I couldn't handle that all winter long.

We made our MUST delivery on Monday morning at 0800 and got our next w/a while dropping the trailer. Head out to Sleepy Eye, MN and pick up some Rid-Ice and take it to Mills Fleet and Farm in Germantown, WI - 42,000 pounds. We spent the night Monday in St. Charles, MN. Another cold night of -12. We delivered yesterday about noon and got another w/a to pick up a relay load in Sturtevant, WI and deliver it to an O'reilly's auto parts on the north side of Milwaukee. I figured it would be a distribution center. No such luck... We drove past it first. The parking lot was full of everything to outfit a store. Apparently it was being converted from a Checker Auto to an O'reilly's.

I called to confirm they were expecting me... yep, just pull in the lot, they do it all the time. An hour and a half to get in. Snow banks everywhere, cars everywhere. And they wanted the trailer dropped off. At one point the trailer looked like the trailer was going to roll over. Thanks to my Funny Lady for directing me and traffic. Could not have done it without her. Not sure I should have anyway, but it's there. I know, should have got some pictures, but we were both a little preocupado.

This morning we picked up a very light of paint supplies from Sheboygan, WI and are headed to Cedar, GA, thank goodness a little warmth for these old bones.

Today, from Sheboygan to Gary we saw at least 100 cars slid out - and ironically 1 salt truck overturned in downtown Milwaukee. We saw plenty in Minesooota, too, but most of them there were flipped. I could only reason that they must drive faster there.

Traffic was less than crawling on I80 going east, so we said enough! and came on into Gary to fuel the truck, fuel ourselves, shower and do laundry.

You may recall that we had misplaced our power brick and remotes for the tv and sat dish. Monday Joe called to tell us he had found them (where I put them) in his garage. The point is that since we haven't had a TV for two weeks, Teresa is glued to the one in the TV room here at the OC. I think she's getting laundry done, too. I'm pretty sure she'll be leaving with me in the morning. She's looking forward to getting out of the snow as much as I am.

It's snowing like crazy out there, next note from sunshine.

No comments: