Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Moose Crossing - Kennebunkport

On the way to Raymond, NH the next work assignment popped in.



Let me back up a moment, just to fill you in. A couple of issues have come up since the Funny Lady showed up. First, I can't just stop anywhere, got to have a bathroom. I used to be able to stop most anywhere but now it's got to have a bathroom. That brings up the second issue, noise. Where there's toilets there are other trucks, usually a bunch. Many still run all night.



Some of the best places are Supercenter WalMarts. They are 24 hours and have b/r and she can get her pedicure !!!



Next are rest areas. Some are better than others. Truck stops are the worst, but they have my morning coffee.

And of course hotels...



Anyway with the combination of the above we're working it out.

So, where are we now ? The next work assignment sent us over to Hollis Center, ME to pick up
45,000 pounds of Poland Springs water. With three drops this morning, 2 in NY and 1 in NJ. I hated it. Through the tight suburbs to deliver at local A&P stores. About 2 hours at each store. Pain in the butt.

So what am I doing in the picture at the right. Well a couple of days ago the driver side latch mechanism hung up and the inside handle ended up breaking, not even the outside latch would work. So for the next couple of days I would go in and out the passenger side door. Now you can imagine the hassle that caused. Then last night the passenger side hung up and eventually that handle broke. Sot the only way to open the door was like the picture above.

Started at 0400 this morning with three stops, in and out opening the door like that... that's it !!!

I contacted emergency services and got the location of a Freightliner repair shop close by the last drop and after dropping it drove over to the shop. It was about 4:00 by the time I got there so they told me to come back in the morning. So I dropped the trailer and we bobtailed out to I287 in New Jersey and in the morning (0630) I'll drive the truck back over and let them have it. I suspect they'll need to keep it tomorrow and order parts and install them Thursday so at this point it looks like we'll spend tomorrow afternoon and evening in NYC.

We were whipped... but we had a bath and a great dinner at Red Lobster and can relax now.

No comments: