Tuesday, September 2, 2008

6 Days till TAH

Friday was a long day for us... at the end of the day we were headed to a place that makes the plastic bags for the Coca Cola fountain drink boxes. No problem except when the directions appear to say take a right, which we did and a 1/4 mile later the road turned into 1 single lane. That was a sign - zigged when we should have zagged. Up a hill was a church with a sort of large lot. I figured maybe I could turn around there. No luck, too tight and straight up. Those darn VA hills. I chatted with a neighbor and he said I could "probably" make it through his neighborhood and back out to the street. So I proceeded slowly through the hood and promptly took out the next guys basketball hoop. It was on the corner and my tandems rolled over it. I gave him $20 to soothe over both our pride. Went on to the shipper, taking the correct left this time. Loaded up and headed to an Idle Aire truck stop 10 miles down the road. Now it's 9 PM and we're pooped.

Usually the entrances are pretty well lit and this one wasn't, missed another one. So we turned the corner to see if there was a side entrance, nope. Not to worry, there was a Dollar General there and they usually have a large lot for trucks to come in and out of. I pulled into the alley and headed back. NOPE... no back. Can't turn around. Stuck... Well the Funny Lady and I moved some stuff crossed about 30 feet of wet field and made it out. She says I have stones of stone... You know what I mean.

Sunday we dropped our coke bags, sounds funny doesn't, in Dallas and headed for the Dallas OC. I was pretty sure we would be stuck there for Monday (Labor Day) but no, got to move some water. We picked up 45,000 pounds of water in Ft. Worth and headed for Wal-Mart in Arkansas. I think they were piling up to be ready for after Gustav went through.

We dropped that in Clarksville this morning and then headed to Wal-Mart headquarters in Bentonville to pick up a load of pallets that are going to Jackson, MO. It looks like Schneider is running us around the mid-south to keep us close for our TAH next week. Good thinking.

We're in Cabool, MO tonight and will deliver tomorrow about noon. We'll see how smart they are after that.

No comments: