Monday, December 8, 2008

Catch Up from Texas

We dropped our valuable rice in KC Friday about 1600. We had been hearing so much about slow freight we figured we were stuck. I closed out my daily log and we went to eat. When we got back, about 1830 we got our next w/a. I figured, cool, we're set for tomorrow. But noooo, the load was one of those WalMart high value loads that had to be picked up within 12 hours of assignment. Not sure when Schneider got it but by the P/U time was by 0417 the next morning.

The problem was that we if we started our break at 1700 we would not be able to leave until 0500 and be there 0600 - LATE. The only other option was to leave immediately and pick it up by about 1945. That's what we did, but it put us past our 14 hour work day. Kept getting the computer generated messages that I was out of time, but no person made an issue out of it so I guess it worked out.

That load was headed for Sealy, TX, about 40 miles west of Houston. Saturday we made it on down to Dallas. Enroute Teresa picked up the VW in OKC and followed me on down to Dallas.
Our next TAH we have to leave the truck in Dallas - any TAH longer than 5 days and the truck has to be at an OC. They say "in case we need to loan it out." It's BS, but we're ready anyway.

We dropped the load yesterday about noon and scrabbled into town. WalMart of course and spent the night there. Today - Monday we're still waiting and I'm losing my patience. We've checked into a cheapo hotel for tonight and we'll see what jibes tomorrow.

Last week in Portland, ME we paid $58 for a Super 8 hotel. Here they want $79. Go figure.

We're staying in an old Roadway Inn for $55. Schneider says they will pay $40. So we're only out $20 (including tax). Not bad actually. But it still doesn't change the fact that no one is buying so there is nothing to haul. So, get out there and buy stuff !!!

11 days until TAH (2 weeks) in Colorado.

We're haggling again, Schneider and me. They "insist" that I give them 3 prospective weeks to take vacation next year. I tell them 12/19 - 12/26. They say I need to give them 2 other weeks so they can "assign" it to me. I tell them "when you pay for my vacations you can pick them, in the absence of that I'm taking Christmas." We have timeshares there we're using, whether they consent or not. We did exchange 1 week to go to Cancun in February, but the other 1 we plan to use.

Bob

1 comment:

Sam Huss said...

If you start your break at 17:00 your can't leave till 05:00?

SNI making you take 12 hour breaks now?