Wednesday, December 3, 2008

We're Doing Fine

They took the entire day to get the hose for the turbo and replace it. I don't get it. But at $87.50 I guess they don't have to move too fast now do they ? We got the truck back about 1600 and decided to spend the night again in Portland, ME. Maybe Schneider will reimburse, I'm pretty sure they will for Sunday night. Monday, maybe.


When we went out at 0700 on Tuesday our next w/a was to go to Raymond, NH pick up a trailer, got to Leominster and pick up a load of plastic things. They looked like the plastic flip top salad things. The whole truck was full and it weighed only 11,000 pounds. I love those. We did good and headed for our delivery which was today in Edison, NJ. We decided that about 1800 we would stop. On the New Jersey Turnpike there are I think 4 service plazas. We stopped at the Vince Lombardi one. I'm sure there were more than 500 trucks there.


This morning on the way to deliver we got our next w/a. Go to Brooklyn, NY. Can you imagine BROOKLYN. We got unloaded fairly quickly and headed over. The directions on the Qualcomm indicated to exit off of 278 at exit 33. Well darn, trucks over 12' 2" can't go past exit 27.


I slowly pulled off and thought OH, #$@%. Yep, that's what I thought. Where the heck are we going now ? I look up and walking towards me in the off ramp is the guy that looks like a sanitation guy. He jumps up on the truck and says "where you headed, exit 33 I'll bet" and I allowed that he was correct. He says, while still standing on the side of the truck holding onto the mirror, turn right here, and I do, and go straight and I do. Then I get the line. I'll show you all the way and I usually get $15 or $20 to save you truckers the headache. In about 10 minutes he had us back on the freeway at exit 30 and on our way. Takes him 18 minutes to walk back and do it again. Might have been a scam, but darn, it was worth it to me. The "official" truck route takes you about 10 miles out of the way.


Anyway we picked up 45,000 pounds of rice at Pong Chiens. Chinese rice and are taking it to Kansas City, MO. Don't ask me why, seems a little silly to me, but pays the same, so who am I to complain.


When you see this sign, you know you're headed for trouble. We saw going both east and west...


But we also saw some the great NYC skyline.


We're half way thru PA now. We felt pretty good getting to NJ by 0800 and over to Brooklyn at 1000 and loaded and back out to NJ by 1145. No accidents or breakdowns - I mean by us !!!
Last comment... in order to get to the dock, the Mr. Pong Chien and his brother had me ( I swear it's the only way to get a 53' trailer in ) Teresa had to stop the traffic coming off the bridge and I had to drive about 80 - 90 feet up (the wrong way) the street in order to back into their dock. Took three swings, horns a blaring. Looking at it later I still didn't see any other way and they said they do it all the time !!! Lucky me.
Glad to be out...
Bob

No comments: