Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Wed in Missouri

Sunday night we finally got our next w/a - someone from the yard there in Reserve, LA was going over to the shipper and picking up the load Monday morning and bringing it back to the OC. We were then to run it up to Williamsburg, IA. Hooooray, back at it !!! Don't ask me why we weren't to do the pickup. The OC is on 19th street and the shipper was on 10th street. Anyway the other driver gave us the thumbs up as he headed out then pulled right up next to us to hand the trailer over. 45,000 pounds of abrasives - I think that means it some sort of sandblasting product.

I think we got out of there about 1030 and headed to W. Memphis, AR - 380 miles. Shower and laundry. We even get towels there at the W. Memphis OC, though I do have to plead for an extra for my "authorized rider." We were quite surprised to learn that at the Reserve OC you have to bring your own towel. Oh, the indignities we suffer.

Yesterday we covered 450 miles and made it to Wayland, MO, all the way to the top of Missouri and about 120 miles left to the consignee. We figure to be there by about 0930 and with an estimated 2:30 to unload be ready to head out at noon. We dined in Hannibal, MO, home of Mark Twain. By the time we got there at about 1700, I was famished. We had the buffet at KFC, that was a first for us, pretty good.

We're scheduled for GTAH ( guaranteed time at home) starting Sunday to head to Cancun. Drivers are allowed to request 6 GTAHs per year. Looks like we're about 650 miles from OKC so we'll only need a day and a half to make it. Our plane leaves about 1330 from OKC, we can make it there even by leaving IA by sometime Saturday, I think we're good to go.

We're no longer in the warm country but so far it's not that bad.

Truck update - as you know we had our "old" truck for almost a year. The trucks have this module called a LVD (low voltage disable, not sure about the D). Anyway when the output of the batteries drop to 12.2 volts it turns off all of the inside power. The Wabasto heater will continue to run, everything else is caput. Our "new" truck has been reaching the LVD threshold about 0300 every morning. This means our little refer, and everything else, are without power. So about that time I wake up and start the motor to let it run and try to go back to sleep. That doesn't usually work for me. So that means my new wake up time is around 0300, annoying Teresa a bit, of course me too. I took it to the shop yesterday morning in W. Memphis but they couldn't find anything wrong. They advised me to unplug the refer overnight. Like we're going to want warm milk in the morning for our cereal !!!

Well I'm trying not to get too hung up on it this week, just get through and get onto our vacation. Sand, sun, sleep, skin, maybe I'm thinking too far ahead, we'll see.

No comments: