Saturday, March 7, 2009

Gillette, Wy


Ok, last time you have to hear about our aborted trip to Cancun. Grandma took this picture that Sunday we were headed to the airport. Think we were in the spirit ? You betcha.

Beautiful trip across Wisconsin, Minnesooota, South Dakota and into Wyoming. Not even too cold during the day.



As mentioned earlier, Teresa had a place in mind to have dinner in Sioux Falls, SD, Minerva's. I could tell it was a little more upscale than Golden Corral or the like. Evidenced by the white table cloths and napkins on the tables. Minerva's was very nice, food was great. I had a nice steak and salad bar Teresa had a lamb steak with risotto. She even had some left over for lunch yesterday. The tab wasn't as bad as I thought for as good as the food was, $58, including tip.










Enroute we took some time to wander around the famous Wall Drug, in Wall, SD. Cute, interesting and huge. Just about anything a visitor or tourist would like to buy, including multiple restaurants. Was fun and got out of there without spending any money and a free bathroom. Can you imagine having to pay for a bathroom on an airplane ? Well they're free at Wall Drug, like everywhere else!!! I do remember a time when there were some places that had a quarter slot on the door to open it, but I haven't seen any of those for a LONG time.
Made it to Gillette at 1400 MST then I got a look at the load. All of the bathroom and kitchen cabinets needed for 24 apartments. None on skids. They pulled a crew together, they had done this a lot of times before. They pulled up a forklift with a platform and nailed on some 2 x 12's to make a slide. Then I got to pull them down and carry them to the tail gate and someone else loaded them onto the slide and three other guys carried them into the storage area. When I got about half way through another guy appeared in the truck and I continued to pull them down and he slid them back to the tail gate. Two hours and down to a t-shirt and it was snowing lightly outside.
I was getting sore by half-way through. When we were all done I grabbed some Motrin, not too bad today.
No new w/a yet. If we don't get one this morning we'll go check into a hotel, probably for both Sat and Sun nights.
Across the field from the apartments there was a herd of antelope. One of the guys said there were more antelope in Wyoming than people. From what I had seen on the way, I believe it.






No comments: