Monday, April 13, 2009

Council Bluffs, IA

As of writing Thursday night we were assignmentless. About 0430 Friday morning we heard beeping on the QC. That's a new one. Usually after the ignition is off for 15 minutes the QC goes to sleep and doesn't do anything until we turn the ignition back on. We heard the first beep and kind of sleepily passed it off, then another, then another. It takes about 6 messages to get the whole work assignment. I got up to check'er out. Our next work assignment is to pick up the trailer that we brought in from Saginaw last night and were told could not be late. Needless to say even leaving Dallas by 0500 there was no way we were going to make it by 0700. We got in just before 1000, which what I had estimated on Thursday before it was taken away.

While delivering in Houston we got our next w/a; deadhead back to Dallas and on Saturday morning pick up a load of Frito Lay chip and take them to Denver. Initially I had assumed we would be heading right back up I35 to Salina, KS and then west on I70 to Denver. I was confused why the work assignment indicated 777 miles, and our plan was about 880. Hmmmm, something's wrong with this picture. I re-requested the mapping and yep, it was different. Pretty much all the way up US287 from Ft. Worth to Limon, Co, and right through Dumas, TX.

Then I remembered I have people in Dumas. We stopped there Saturday night, dropped the trailer and picked up some pizza and visited with my great-aunt Winnie. We chatted for a couple hours then. She's 86, lives alone and still walks almost a mile every day. She played the piano at my request.

Was a great evening. Boy have we been lucky to see lots of family this week.

Somewhere along the way in Texas we spotted this Serengeti, filled with camels.


I asked for samples when we picked up the Fritos, but they didn't have any broken boxes at that time.
After dropping in Denver we picked up a relay load of HEAVY paper destined for Omaha with an 0600 deliver tomorrow. So we're holed up in Council Bluffs, IA for the evening.
TAH on Friday... wonder what the rest of the week holds for us ? You too ?

No comments: