Monday, April 27, 2009

No longer an alien

Sunday seemed like it was going to be a relaxing day. After updating our blog and then fetching m'lady's tea we headed for WalMart. Got everything we needed.

We went in to the OC and were reading, etc. I was seriously thinking a nap was in order. But I thought, nope, better check the QC. There it was! Not sure why it took 3 hours to get assigned as the trailer had already been relayed there. I read the QC and the w/a is to Delhi, Ontario, Canada. Only 400 miles, but still, Canada !!!

We spent 30 minutes (maybe a little exageration) prepping paperwork for the PARS crossing. None of the phone numbers supplied we either valid or working on Saturday. Two calls back for more numbers and finally got one and subsequently got a fax number.

We were hauling 40,000 of Scotts Fertilizer plastic bags to be filled in Delhi. The route to Buffalo and over to Ontario was the hardest I have traveled in the time I've been driving. The hills were straight up and down.

US219 even has some places that the truck speed limit is 20 MPH. That will surely blow your average. It really is hard to hold 40,000 pounds back on the down hill, had to go into 5th gear to do it comfortably. Then lots of small towns. Eight hours to cover 300 miles.

We entered Canada at Ft. Erie then headed west on QE 3 to Delhi. While unloading we got our next w/a; go east on QE 3 12 miles and pick up a load of recycle tires to drop in Greenville, SC.

We made it across both directions of the border crossings so we are no longer aliens and are showering and resting up in Detroit for the evening. Then on down I75 to Tennessee and then east to SC.

Tonight I am pooped again. Either I am getting older or it's getting tougher, let me know when you figure it out.

No comments: