Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Double Catch UP

So Bill and I headed out of Green Bay and headed for Dekalb. We knew we did not have enough hours left on our work day ( you can only work 14 hours in a given day) to make it all the way so we picked the Wal-Mart ( Bill picked it !!!) in Beloit, Wi. I know this is beginning to sound like a restaurant guide, but oh well - We stopped at HOBO's at exit 107 on I43 north of Milwaukee. Another good find and priced well.


Bill is a 135 pounder and can't eat much, to my benefit. We brought his leftover pork tenderloin with us and made three sandwiches for lunch the next day... MMMM good.


Anyway we made it the the Wal-Mart Bill picked to spend the night. Of course we went in and got some staples and a book for me. When we got up at 5:00 we had a $20 parking ticket on our windshield. Thanks, Bill and Wal-Mart.


So yesterday ( Tuesday ) was a tough one. We dropped off our load at the Target distribution center in Dekalb. "That was easy." Within an hour we had our next load.

Three pick-ups ( Bedford Park, Buffalo Grove and Batavia ) and a drop off in Fountain Inn, South Carolina.

Two of the pickups were very tight to back into --- Bill did the first one and I did the last two.

I'm getting a bit better.

We had lunch will Bill's brother in Shelbyville, KY, and I met Bill's 91 year old mother... Bill's brother (retired) is giving a go a writing country songs. He sang three while we were there.

All were good, but I really like the one I think he called "I Never Thought." Really good, and sang well too. I think he has a chance - of course you know what my opinion means...

So back to Wagner Farms in Oconto Falls, WI, for a bit. When we got there two trucks were ahead of us. Now figure this... we each had about 40,000 pounds of cottonseed.


They have 550 milking cows and quite an operation, for a city boy. The process works just like Great America..
First, they are ready, and they come into this area and back up to the rail. Then the head bar comes down and the workers clean the udders and attach the milkers. They stand there for about 5 minutes and when each of them stops giving milk their respective milker detaches and they wait. When they are all done the head bar goes up and they go out making ready for the next group.

That's a lot of teat...



And then they raise most of their own calves. Cute little suckers, literally.

Now we're done for the day... We're in Corbin, KY. We'll make our drop around noon tomorrow and then hope for a load back so I can get to Green Bay by Monday.

I think I'm all caught up.

No comments: