Thursday, March 27, 2008

Whewy !

I said Tuesday was going to be an easy one. Shame on me !!!
On the way to dropping off my load of diaper makings in Green Bay I started hearing the Qualcomm computer behind me chirping. You can't look at it until you're stopped, just to keep you safe. I was about 45 minutes early. They didn't realize that's the way I do things. But they made me wait till exactly 2:00 to deliver. That was fine, cause it gave me some time to check the computer to see what's next.

OH MY GOD... I dead head ( drive with an empty trailer ) to Escanaba, Michigan to pick up a load of paper headed for ... guess first. Montreal, Quebec, 777 miles after 100 to Escanaba.

Get this, I have to put together import documents and fax them (like I have a fax in the truck) to the border broker who charges a fee to let us take somebody elses product into Canada. I get it faxed about 11:30 pm Tuesday and find they close at 11:00. So about 10 miles south of Sault Ste. Marie I stop at a rest stop to wait it out and that was midnight. Oh, forgot, on the way I hit a deer, the orange truck won.

It is mandatory that drivers take a 10 consecutive hour break. That means once I stopped I could not move again until 10:00 in the morning. As usual I get up early, about 6, and find that the rest stop is closed - broken water pipe. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. Now what, four hours and no potty. Whatever, I'm fairly resourceful but there is still 2 feet of snow up there.

On Wednesday I got through customs pretty easy and headed on, sssslllooowwwlly. Most of the speed limits were 90 kilometers per hour. For you non-metric oriented folks that's 55 mph.
That is slow. So you cheat a bit. It's about a 10 hour drive to Ottawa from SSM. And guess what no rest stops. I found I could really hold it for 5 hours, not once, but twice. Practice makes perfect I guess.

I spend Wednesday night in Ottawa and finished up in Montreal this morning. So you got to figure a little rest time is in order, right ? Wrong. From Montreal I get chirp from the computer that says go to Champlain, NY and pick up a load headed to Evansville, IN. And now I'm sitting in a rest area just east of Rochester, NY, waiting for my current 10 hour break to end. This load is 1001 miles. I can head out a 6 in the morning.

If you have never driven in Montreal, keep it that way. It's tough, and all French. Course I'm fluent in French -NOT!!!

The load is to be delivered by 3/30 0315. I can do better than that. I figure to get it there about 3/29 at 1400. We'll see, I should just take my time and do it on their schedule, but what fun would that be.

So that's my itinerary - I didn't get a darn picture. But man the countryside is immense and awsome.

Time to hit the sack...

Let me try this quickly -

Do you know someone that makes your heart thump
I do, too
Do you know someone whose eyes light your day
I do, too
Do you know someone that returns your love 10 fold
I do, too

Love, Bob

No comments: